Monday, April 23, 2012

Gossip and the Tongue

Gossip:

This last week I got the privilege to go to my first Ladies Retreat. While on the road, the ladies and I were talking about Gossip and how the tongue can be used. There are so many
ways that you can be gossiping without knowing it. While at the Retreat, we held one
another accountable, and it wasn’t easy. We made it through those few days, but we
still had to work on it.
I challenge you to work on Gossiping. Just write down what you talk about the most to friends/family, and just see if you catch yourself gossiping or using your tongue in a not-so-nice manner. The tongue is a sharp sword. It can be used to tear people down, or to build people up. Here are just a few verses that I thought were appropriate about gossiping and the tongue.

He who goes about as a slanderer reveals secrets, Therefore do not associate with a gossip.

Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things.

At the same time they also learn to be idle, as they go around from house to house; and not merely idle, but also gossips and busybodies, talking about things not proper to mention.

"unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good,..."

Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.

Therefore encourage one another and build up one another, just as you also are doing.

Ephesians 4:29
Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good foredification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear.

1 comment:

  1. Great words Caitlin! I try not to gossip. I think about how much it would hurt me if someone gossiped about me, and that makes me not want to do it to other people.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!