Thursday, April 7, 2016

Marriage: What I've Learned

     When I was in Colorado, a friend of mine had asked me a question. She said, "What do you think you've learned most in marriage?" I told her it was definitely a hard question for sure, and that I'd have to think about it.
     I think for the most part, it's doing exactly what the Bible says to do or not to do. Love keeps no record of wrongs. (1st Corinthians 13:5) I think when you go into marriage, and live every day life, you have to remember that you live with a sinner. You also have to remember that you're a sinner yourself. You both have faults, and you both sin constantly. No one is perfect. You shouldn't go into marriage assuming that they're going to be perfect in areas that you think they'd be. Yes, they may be great in those areas, but don't set an expectation that they or you can't meet.
     For me, I tend to set the expectation for myself too high. I want to make dinner the best for my husband. I want the house to be clean when my husband comes home, all the time. I want my life together, and I want to know what I want. However, because I'm a sinner, I fall short of those expectations for myself, every single day. I'm proud of myself if I can even get my husband's egg yolks to not crack while I cook them. ;)
     I'm not perfect. I struggle every day with being a wife, and soon-to-be mom. I have thoughts that are sinful, I do things I know I shouldn't do. I have temptations and struggles just like everybody else. I'm not pretending that I have it all together. Marriage does take work. It takes work to serve other people above yourself. It takes work to remember that the other person might be right, and that whether they're right or not, "Love does not insist on it's own way." (1st Corinthians 13:5)
     When Josh and I had premarital counseling, we promised each other, and wrote it down, not to leave the house when we're still upset with each other, or need to talk things out. We've been late for things a couple times, because things had to be worked through.
    So, yes, marriage does take work, but I wouldn't have it any other way! I'd rather work through things with Josh, then to work alone by myself.
     My parents, and so many others have been a wonderful example to me of what a good, Godly marriage looks like, and I'm so grateful that I have a husband who's a wonderful man, and who'll be a great dad soon!
     I think this woman said it best in her post: http://www.girldefined.com/my-selfishness-marriage-ruined-satisfaction
  • I would now consider myself a happily married woman. Will marriage be smooth sailing in the future? Most definitely not. However, I have learned where my hope and trust needs to be. I know that my Heavenly Father will give me His truth, through His word.
  • I will have to make the choice to step out in faith and remember that His way is perfect and His way will ultimately bring me amazing satisfaction.

I absolutely loved this article, so I thought I'd share it! http://joyforney.org/married-woman/

  • In what Ways do you feel like you can be less-selfish every day?
  • How can you prepare for marriage in the future, or if you're married, how can you make your marriage better?


2 comments:

  1. Love you Caitlin! So proud to call you friend. I love your humility and honesty. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thank you so much for your comment! I love and miss your family!!!

      Delete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!