Wednesday, September 30, 2015

When I was single and Waiting

     Being single is hard, when you have the desire to be a wife to a loving husband, and a mom to children of your own. It's hard to see friends around you get married, and have kids, and you're still at home, with no possible man for your future... or at least that's how and what you feel.
     I was there. For me, as I got closer to 22, I was wondering if I'd ever be married. 22 is still young, don't get me wrong, but, I had hoped to be married by 21, at least. The closer I got to 21 though, I realized, not only was I not ready to become a wife yet, but, God wasn't ready for me to become one yet either. Josh wasn't ready to be a husband yet... he was still figuring out his life. It's crazy how God works everything out for His glory.
     During my single years, my mom told me, "You have to keep yourself busy. Give yourself purpose. Never stop learning. Help and serve others as much as you can." That was probably the best advice that was given to me for my single years. Along with teaching Piano, being the Chauffeur of my family, studying to become a Doula, I also served. Once a week, I'd commit my whole day to helping out a family in church.
     If you sit around waiting for Prince Charming to come, what could you have gotten accomplished if you would've used your time more wisely? Will you look back at your single years and be grateful that you had an opportunity to serve others, or will you look back and wish that you'd done things differently? God knows when you'll get married. If you have a desire to get married, God will bring that man to you!.. in HIS timing. If you're a man waiting to find that right girl... she's out there, somewhere! ;) God will bring her to you, in HIS timing! In the meantime, serve Christ with everything you've got! Serve your family, and your Church. Make Christ the center of your life! And when that time comes, that Christ brings your spouse to you, continue to make Christ the center of everything! It'll all be well worth it! ;)

Isaiah 40:31

But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Psalm 27:13-14

I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Questions to Consider:
  • Have you prayed to God and asked Him to send you a spouse? 
  • Did you pray just once, or do you pray over and over again? 
  • What has helped you to be patient and wait on Gods timing? 
  • Why do you want to be married? Is it for selfish reasons? 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Caitlin! Thanks so much for sharing this! I am 22 and still single and have been waiting for God to bring the right one. Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's so sad to me to see Christian women wasting their single years. Before I met Sam, I sometimes felt like I'd never find the right guy. I felt isolated, stuck being around guys I could never see myself with if I was paid to marry them.

    But when I stopped searching for a man and started focusing on what I wanted to do with my own life, the man of my dreams showed up and swept me off my feet. (Literally.) So often, Christian women are told to "just wait"...and do nothing else. But what a terrible way to waste your single years! Find something you're passionate about. Chase it. Discover God's purpose for your life, because He did not create you for mediocrity. He did not create you to do /nothing/.

    It's so much more exciting to fall in love with someone when you're each on a separate journey, and then you get to watch those paths converge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a most lovely writing for many people. I pray this might encourage many as they process the hope that God would bring that special someone to them. In the mean time I would also encourage many to live life with purpose doing the will of the Lord. Teaching, learning and serving!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!