Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Reflecting on Media

     This week, I've had the chance to reflect about how much time I spend on the computer/social media sites etc... My husbands computer decided to quit on us on Saturday, and will be in the shop until the end of this week. My laptop stopped working when we got married, and hasn't worked since. Today, I have my smartphone, but my sister-in-law needed my phone charger for the day... which happens to be the only one I have at home. ;) It gave me a chance to reflect on how much I not only use the computer/phone, but rely on it to do so many things. The computer/internet can be used for so much good, but it can also be used for evil.
     I use the computer usually for catching up with friends via email/Facebook, researching things, reading articles, writing on my blog, chatting with my husband throughout the day, and various other things. It's a day and age when we use the internet a lot. Don't get me wrong, having the internet is awesome! I can keep in contact with my family and friends in Colorado, while I'm here in Ohio! There's Face-time to see my families facial expressions to things, Facebook that I can load pictures on and tell stories of my life and what I'm learning, Blogger, so that people can know what I'm learning both spiritually and physically, and so many articles that you can read with just the click of a button! You can order things online, and have them shipped to you, you can watch documentaries, and you can store your pictures and video's on the computer. It's amazing how far we've come in the last couple of decades!
     I'm reminded of the Bible verse in Psalm 90:12, "So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." ... if we spend so much time on the computer, how can we enjoy Christ in the little things, like the birds, butterflies, flowers, trees, and blue skies? Are you spending so much time on the computer/internet, that we don't study the word of God, or pray?
     I tend to get into this cycle, where I reflect on things I should change, I change for a little while, and then a few weeks later, I'm back to my original self, doing the exact same thing that I promised myself I wouldn't do. Any way, just a  little something I've been thinking about this week. :) I hope that I might encourage you to think about these things. 
  • How often are you on the computer daily?... whether that's for research or not. 
  • When you get home, or when you're on break, what's the first thing you do?
  • Should you consider taking a Computer Break?


     Having a computer/laptop around the house, has been wonderful, and it's helped me to keep in contact with many friends/family who I otherwise wouldn't know about. It's helped me to write down things, and look up recipes, articles, and so many things that I wouldn't otherwise do, if I didn't have a computer. I pray that God will help me to remember to not rely on the computer for my happiness, but ultimately, in Jesus Christ my Savior. May you all be blessed this week!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!