Tuesday, May 3, 2016

When God Seems Silent

     Waiting on the Lord can be tough sometimes; especially when we want an answer right away. I was reminded of this again on Sunday while our pastor was preaching. It's easy to say that we'll wait on Gods timing, but to actually believe it, and put it into practice is whole other ball game.
     I like what Jon Bloom says in his article, "When God Seems Silent":
I believe there are clues for another purpose...I’ll phrase them as questions.

  • Why is it that “absence makes the heart grow fonder” but “familiarity breeds contempt”?
  • Why is water so much more refreshing when we’re really thirsty?
  • Why am I almost never satisfied with what I have, but always longing for more?
  • Why can the thought of being denied a desire for marriage or children or freedom or some other dream create in us a desperation we previously didn’t have?
  • Why is the pursuit of earthly achievement often more enjoyable than the achievement itself?
  • Why do deprivation, adversity, scarcity, and suffering often produce the best character qualities in us while prosperity, ease, and abundance often produce the worst?
Do you see it? There is a pattern in the design of deprivation: Deprivation draws out desire. Absence heightens desire. And the more heightened the desire, the greater its satisfaction will be. It is the mourning that will know the joy of comfort (Matthew 5:4). It is the hungry and thirsty that will be satisfied (Matthew 5:6). Longing makes us ask, emptiness makes us seek, silence makes us knock (Luke 11:9).  (http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/when-god-seems-silent)
     I believe that during the "waiting" season in our lives, God makes us grow. In James 1:2-4 we're reminded, "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trails, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have it's perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
     I pray that during the times in my life when God seems silent, that I can just listen, be patient, and wait upon the Lord, for His timing.
     In what ways can you wait upon the Lord? Are there times when you feel like God doesn't seem to be answering? What things have helped you?



Pregnancy Update: 34 weeks along now, and my husband and I are so excited to welcome our son into this world soon! Baby James is very camera shy, and anytime I try to take a picture of his moving around, he stops. ;) I have the normal pregnancy swollen feet, so I can't fit into to many of my shoes. My midwife says that my water intake is great, and to just keep my feet propped up when I can. It's starting to feel a little real now that we're going to welcome a little boy into this world soon! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!