Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Are you truly Blessed?

Today’s big question: are you truly blessed?

Happiness is something most people want. In fact, I think we have read somewhere that everyone has the right to the pursuit of happiness, but what is true happiness?

Our verse today is the first of the Beatitudes. The word “beatitude” is from the Latin rootbeatus, which means blessed or happy. As you read through these statements of Jesus from His great sermon, you will notice each one starts with the word “blessed,” or in some translations the word is “happy.” Yet there is a much deeper meaning to the meaning of this word than just a favorable feeling. This term actually conveys the idea of fulfillment and complete satisfaction.

The island of Cyprus has been called the “Blessed Isle,” because it was thought to have everything necessary for life contained within its small coastline perimeter. It was self-contained and filled. This is really the meaning of what true blessedness is in respect of the Beatitudes. This blessedness speaks of the actual realization of a true satisfaction and fulfilled joy.

Jesus is never surface deep. The happiness of knowing Him is not like the happiness I feel when I receive a piece of birthday cake. In knowing Jesus, I am completely fulfilled in my life, and there is nothing else that I need. My salvation, eternity, and sanctification are to His glory, and I cannot think of any greater desire. When we come to know Jesus Christ, we come to know true satisfaction in life. Nothing else in this whole world can satisfy—not riches, fame, power, or even my own beloved earthly family.

My satisfaction and joy is only found in Christ and His Cross. There is no one else in whom I can know there is complete victory. No one else has taken the judgment I deserve and paid for my sins. There is none other in whom is found true and everlasting kingship, and there is no one else who is all-encompassing and possesses everlasting mercy, grace, and love.
Only Jesus.

Are you blessed? If so, you will be able to relate to the satisfaction found in the contemplation and realization of the Beatitudes. As my mother would say, “It will bless your socks off.”

Today’s big idea: blessing is more than a happy outcome—it is a complete and
satisfying joy in our Savior.


(Excerpt from Answers in Genesis articles)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!