Monday, September 26, 2011

What Is Contentment?


What does it mean to be content?
There are times in my life when I’m bored, or I want to get out of the house. It’s during those times that the devil prowls around like a lion, seeking whom he may devour. (1st Peter 5:8)
When we were younger…even now, my parents tell us that if were ever bored, or they even hear us say that, they will have us pull weeds. I know, none of us kids liked it, but that was always the chore that we had to do if we were ever bored.
My great-Aunt Pearl whom is 103 years old told our family a few years ago, “Idleness is the Devil’s playground”…meaning that that’s where Satan loves to attack us. When we are board, Satan will take that, and turn it around by putting evil thoughts into our heads, or by merely keeping us dis-content.

In Philippians 4:11 Paul says, “…for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content."

Also in 1st Timothy 6:6, "Now Godliness with contentment is great gain."


A real conversation took place between a real young man and a very real Jesus. And Jesus’ instruction for him was hard, so hard, that he turned away, and refused to yield. Application: Beloved, what if Jesus spoke to your discontented soul this morning; what if you had a very real conversation with a very real God, and the Holy Spirit spoke to your discontented soul and said, yet thou lackest one thing. Go, and sell all that you have, and give the proceeds to others, and THEN you shall have treasure in heaven. Would it be enough? Could you be contented with treasures in heaven in the life to come, and nothing on earth in this life? We sing,
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand
But are they meaningless, religious words that we utter, or, do we truly mean them? Could it be, that we have the very same heart problem, that this young man had?
Take the time to think and to ponder...the next time that you feel dis-content
try to pray to God and ask for peace that passes all understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!