Monday, December 9, 2013

Keeping Christ in Christmas

As the time draws near to Christmas, I'm reminded of Jesus's birth.
This last week, I had a recital for my, now, 21 Piano Students! I always love Christmas songs this time of year. One of my students was considering which song to play for the recital, when he told me, "The Little Drummer Boy". Thinking that he knew this song already, I told him, "sure!"
A couple weeks later, we were discussing it, and I said, "You know what the Little Drummer Boy is about, right?" He said, "No, it's just my mom's favorite song."
So, without a moment to lose, I witnessed to him not only the little drummer boy, and what it's about, but the story about Jesus's Birth, even though he kind of already knew it. :)

Sadly, many people today, think that Christmas is about Presents, Santa Clause, toys, mistletoe's, Christmas Trees/lights, etc... many people don't know the true meaning of Christmas.

Last year, we watched a movie called, "Christmas with a Capital C", which I highly recommend watching as a family movie. In this movie, there's a man that comes to town trying to get people to put up, "Happy Holidays", and other misc. things, instead of "Merry Christmas". He goes so far as to vote to take the nativity scene out of the town. The Mayor, tries to convince everyone that Christmas is all about Jesus being born, but little by little,  no one listens.
Isn't this how our world is today? No, there's nothing wrong with putting up the Christmas lights/trees, and Santa with the Reindeer and sled, but some people have forgotten why we celebrate Christmas. I recently watched this video of a man interviewing kids in Hollywood, to see what they thought Christmas was/is about. Sadly, not very many of them even knew what Christmas was/is about.
I pray that as you get ready for Christmas, with all the hustle and bustle of getting presents, cleaning, decorating, that we all will remember to keep Christ in Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!