Thursday, August 22, 2013

To live in Fear

All of us live in fear in one way or another.
I experienced the peace and hope that I have through Jesus Christ this past week when my friend came over. Her and I went out to her car to get something, when a man rolled down his window and said, "I'm the sheriff, I need you to get inside, now!"
We hurriedly walked inside, only to see 2 swat team cars full, a line of police cars, firetrucks, and paramedics all with guns. We closed our door, and locked our windows. We heard a police officer say from the megaphone, "Come out now, with your hands in the air! You house is surrounded!"
The Sheriff came knocking on our door about 30 minutes later and said, "Everything's fine now. You're safe."
We had known that our neighbor was an ex-convict from what he told us when they first moved in, and have always been very cautious about him the past year that they lived next to us.

After all the excitement had died down, my mom came and asked me, "Were you scared?"
but to be honest, besides the Sheriff yelling at me, I wasn't scared. I had a peace, and a hope that if I died, I would be with Christ.
What does it mean to live in fear?
Noah Webster's 1828 dictionary describes fear as: "Fear is an uneasiness of mind, upon the thought of future evil likely to befall us. To be in apprehension of evil; to be afraid; to feel anxiety on account of some expected evil."
Many people don't have the hope of Christ living in them. They live in fear on a day-to-day basis. They fear man, rather than God. It becomes "man-centered" rather than "God-centered".
I've posted some verses below that I thought would be helpful on the topic of fear.

Psalm 23:4

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Psalm 27:1

"The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid?"

Psalm 118:6

"The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

Deuteronomy 31:6

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Psalm 56:3-4

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you.  In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"

Isaiah 41:10

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Isaiah 41:13

"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."

1 Corinthians 16:13

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong."

1 John 4:18

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!