Wednesday, May 20, 2015

My Walk with the Lord

     I've been asked to talk about how my walk with the Lord is, and how I spend time with Christ everyday. Let me start by saying, unfortunately, I don't study the word of God as often as I should. I let other things get in the way at times.
     Before my husband goes to work every morning, we try to pray. We Pray for the day, and that God would give us the strength and energy we need. Sometimes there's specific requests for ourselves that we pray about, and other times it's just a general prayer.
     After he leaves for work, I usually clean up around the house, do dishes, respond to emails, do a little exercising, and some other work. I try to make it a point in the day that I sit down for a little bit, and write in my prayer journal. I write a note to God basically praying for my needs/want/hurts.... or others things. Lately, I've been praying for a lot of wisdom on how I can encourage my husband and let him know how great he is on a daily basis! :)
     I'll admit, at times, my days are so busy, I can easily forget to do my Bible Study every day. I have to constantly remind myself to put God as my priority. My husband and I try to do Family Devotions every night. At the moment, we're going through the Psalms and Genesis.
     The main thing to remember is, God wants you, He wants your attention. God is a jealous God. (Exodus 34:14) God created us to Glorify Him and enjoy Him forever. In America, we're given the freedom to own a Bible. Many people have one, but few people actually read it. Charles Spurgeon once said: "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." When life gets hard, what do we do the most? What do we turn to?
     A couple weeks ago, someone very close to me was going through a rough spot in life. This person felt very messed up, and like a failure. I can't tell you how many times I cried out to God to help this person. It's in those moments that I think God uses the most. It's in those moments when we're most desperate, and God shows us His strength in our weakness. It's in those moments that I keep reminding myself that God is still good, He's still on His throne, He's still faithful, and He's still Sovereign over all. God listens to all our prayers. He sees each tear that falls, and he's not ignoring our prayers. He's teaching us to rely on Him, even in the trials and tribulation that come our way. God has a way of refining us that we can't see when we're in the midst of something.
     I have to remind myself that when I'm in the midst of daily life, to continue my walk with the Lord, and know that God is on His throne. My walk with the Lord is coming at a slow pace at times. We run a race on a daily basis. Distractions come our way. I'll admit, even in those times, I'm not always great about going to the Lord in prayer. I need to remember to keep God as my #1 priority. "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." ~Matthew 6:33~
     In what ways do you find helps your walk with the Lord? What might distract you? 

2 comments:

  1. Aawww! It's sweet to hear how you spend time with God and what your days are like. It's so cool to hear how another person centers their days around walking with God and what they are working on remembering. I really liked the quotes and verses you included; I even found the quote by Spurgeon on Pinterest and pinned it!

    I recently decided to finally start a prayer journal and actually found it far more helpful than I thought I would. I feel like I can rest more after having written down my prayers, and writing them makes me think them through instead of just sporadically mentioning things that are worrying me.

    As for distractions, I usually read my Bible and pray in the mornings, but once I decide to skip that time just for one day, I end up skipping it for several days. I get most distracted when I've skipped my devotions, usually because I'm busy doing things at home and don't have a set morning schedule that my devotions are a part of and feel like I have to hurry and get going since I've slept in.

    Thanks for writing these posts! They are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia! Thanks for your comment... it helps me to know if my blog is helpful or not. :)
      Yes, I have that problem too, when I skip a day, I skip many more. Keeping it a part of your every day schedule is better. :) It sounds like your walk with the Lord is going great!
      Thanks for reading my post! Have a great week!
      Caitlin

      Delete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!