Friday, June 6, 2014

Think on these things

I'd like to address an issue, that I feel like has been laid upon my heart, in which I believe is crucial, in this day and age.
Movies... now before any of you exit out of this post, or un-follow me, I'd like you to hear me out.
Our family has set standards as us kids have gotten older. Yes, I'm almost 22, and yes, I'm allowed to choose which movies I watch, and yes, I've made some mistakes, and watched movies that I shouldn't have seen. Sometimes, those images stay in our head, and convince our minds that it's okay.
What bothers me, is when people go to midnight showings and watch movies that they KNOW will have "Sensual Scenes" or "F-bombs", they say, "It's okay, it doesn't bother me." or "I just ignore it."
To be honest... you can't just ignore it. We slowly give way to accepting what our culture watches.
At first, we may fast forward the "kissing scene..." maybe the next time, "we watch just a little bit of it"... slowly, we accept the fact, that kissing scene's are in every movie we watch, and we little by little become okay with it.
What once was a sin to see... still is... but, we accept it now. We justify our sin. We think that we won't be "cool", if we don't see the movie.
Can I ask a question?... how many of you look at reviews for movies? How many of you see what the review says, but still go anyway? You see that the movie has a couple "scenes", but...really? Just ignore it? I've talked with a lot of people on this subject, and they say, "it's realistic when they do that..." it doesn't matter if it's realistic or not... it's NOT okay. We can't justify it!!! Adam and Eve didn't have the kind of language we have today... they didn't call people the "S" word, or the "D" word! They might have gotten mad at each other, but...really?
You guys (gals), this is a spiritual battle! We see it everywhere today! And little by little, we've compromised! Little by little, we let things "slide" so to speak. It doesn't bother you to see a man and woman getting naked in front of a T.V. screen? ... it should! The Bible tells us in
Hebrews 13:4


"Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous."
Even if you turn your head for 5 seconds... once you've seen, it can destroy you! And when you go to a movie, the director's don't know that you "turned" your head... they think you support that movie. They don't know if you fast-forward scenes, or use "Clear-Play" to watch movies... although it's much safer to do that. You still support the movie. I'm not perfect! I do it too! However, I try to hard to remind myself of what Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy-mediate on these things."
Is going to see "____", (fill in the blank) any of these things? If not, pray and ask God for guidance. You might have grown up in a family, where it's okay to watch whatever movie you'd like. You might have grown up in a family that would only let you watch a couple movies or no movies at all, and now you let things slide. Whatever the case may be... I ask that you PLEASE protect your mind, soul, and heart! Don't let this world steal your mind and thoughts. I'd recommend looking at:  http://www.pluggedin.com/ for a movie review. And please, don't take me wrong... watching movies can be great and fun! ... but in the end, are thoughts in your mind that shouldn't be?! Forgive me if I've overstepped by boundaries. But this is one thing, I can't let go by anymore. Thank you all, and may you be blessed! :)

7 comments:

  1. Great Post! I'm really glad we share the same sentiments of the subject. By God's grace I have managed to completely do away with movies. I was encouraged by this quotation from the book "Great Controvesy" by "Ellen G. White" ~ "By beholding you become changed, the mind gradually adapts to subjects upon which it is allowed to dwell. It is assimilated to that which it is accustomed to love and reverence." Page 555 paragraph 5. We can't expect our characters to be Christl-like when we spend most of our time watching things that exact the devil's character.

    Thanks for the Post!

    Blessings

    Nontie (from - A Victorious Woman of Faith: nontokozomaposa.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin,
    What a great post and a wonderful reminder to guard our minds.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Caitlin!!! This is a very pressing issue in our day, thank you for your courage in your presenting it!

    In previous generations it was the the literary works that eroded the minds and hearts of youth (as made manifest in Swanson's monumental work "Apostate") and planted the seeds for the transition into movies.Today, it is--primarily--the movies (21st Century literature).

    Thank you again sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I really appreciate this post! My family does watch movies in our home but has cut down drastically in the last several years. I loved hearing what you said about the kissing scenes! I know I am guilty of doing that. At first you fast-forward then you just turn away, then you just kinda watch it... Thanks for being courageous!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, fantastic post! Very uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thank you so much for giving us this......we all needed it! I love it: God Bless You for your courage: not many people can stand up against the world like this. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really makes you think….
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear comments!!! Please drop me a message!